North, East, South and West – more space for students to perform their best

March 31, 2020

High School East (HSE) and High School West (HSW) will soon become a part of the WW-P school district according to the Compass Council’s announcement on March 32. Ovya Kumar, president of the Compass Council, a task force designated to discuss the student population of WW-P schools, said, “Because the student population is currently at a million, we must add these new high schools to our district. Currently, high school students are packed into two buildings.”

Within these schools, there will be fun recreational features. “We will now have a movie theatre, bowling alley, a 70s-style disco room, a gaming room and a mindfulness center,” said Kumar.

So far students are elated to hear of these additions. Junior Allaj Oke said, “I can’t wait to see the new buildings. I think the new recreational rooms will liven things up.”

Not only will new features be added, but according to Divya Raskonda, the president of Schools Without Walls, the architect company hired by the district, “The new schools will be built with metal framings, but no walls.” 

Why no walls?  Raskonda explained, “Walls go against our design aesthetics.”

Raskonda said, “We believe young minds need to be surrounded by the natural environment. So while the idea of a school building is necessary, we don’t believe the idea of walls, outside or inside, are of any value.”

The total absence of walls has been met with positive responses. Sophomore Michael Mancuso said, “There are so many benefits to these open classrooms, such as fresh air and the natural wildlife— chipmunks, squirrels, garter snakes, ants, not to mention deer.”  

The Compass Council is currently finalizing details on the budget for the two schools. According to  the Compass Council’s public Fakebook page, HSE and HSW will be accepting students starting Sept. 33.