The Student News Site of West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South

The Pirate's Eye

The Pirate's Eye

The Pirate's Eye

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

New lacrosse coach: Sean Feddema

Leyla Sosa (’23)
Coach Fedd coaching during one of his practices

Coming off of a tough season, the South Boys Lacrosse Team is more determined than ever. Starting the new season, the 28-member team has a new coach, Mr. Sean Feddema, affectionately called Fedd.

“Nothing really compares to South for coaching,” Coach Fedema said. “This is by far the biggest school I’ve ever coached at.”

Coach Fedd has coached both boys and girls lacrosse at four different schools, ranging from the middle school level to high school varsity. In his nine years of coaching, he’s coached 12 different teams, and five different sports.

He is also no stranger to winning. Coach Fedd has won the Colonial Valley Conference championship, the Mercer County Tournament championship coaching lacrosse at Hopewell Valley and an Olympic Conference championship with Camden Catholic.

Along with coaching, Coach Fedd is also an experienced lacrosse player. He played goalie for Wayne Valley High School from 2007-10, and he played on the Club Lacrosse team at Rider University from 2011-14.

A major struggle that Coach Fedd is facing this season is the number of players on the team. Fedd has been very open about this saying, “We’ve got to get the numbers up.”

“We don’t have a 50-kid freshman class,” he said, comparing the number of freshmen to schools like Notre Dame and Princeton. “I love finding hockey players and basketball players… the defensive principle between lacrosse and basketball is the same exact thing.” Coach Fedd said. He says that to get more players to want to join the team will be by making the season a fun experience where players will make their friends want to join.

Even before the lacrosse season started, Coach Fedd was holding his team to very high standards. “He’s given us a preseason schedule. So Tuesdays and Thursdays we’re doing conditioning,” said attackman Joaquin Vitulich (‘26). “It’s hard, but I think it’s really needed because we have a small roster compared to other teams, so being fit is definitely going to play a big role since we’re not going to have as many substitutions available.”

“I think he’s gonna bring a sense of motivation and a sense of drive to our team,” said Rohan Vellanki(‘27). “He’s invested in the team and trying to help us get up to shape, get our stick skills right, and just become better players.” Vitulich said, “A lot of the upperclassmen on the team, I know, hold Fedd very highly in their hearts. I think he’s gonna bring a sense of motivation and drive to our team,”.

The boys pirates lacrosse team has jumped to an amazing start this season with a 5-4 record, 4 seniors have already scored the first ever goal of their career.

Grover teacher Coach David Henry and Coach Sean Feddema giving a motivational speech during
a close game at Hightstown.

Photo by Leyla Sosa (’23)