Overlooked Colleges

Tanvi Singh and Ishita Jadon

Fall has begun and along with the whirlwind of falling leaves, so has college season. Whether you’re an overwhelmed senior, a junior researching colleges, or a curious sophomore or freshman, most people consider the same dozen or so big-name colleges. But there are other schools that are not as well known. So we sat down with academic counselor Michelle Walsh; here are five colleges and universities that you should know about.

Ursinus College, Collegeville, PA

(Biological and Biomedical Sciences)

“Their top majors are STEM/Neuroscience. Ursinus has many dual degree programs and partnerships with schools such as Columbia, and Case Western. It is located in a small town but outside of a large city: Philadelphia.”

Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA

(Bio-engineering and Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Science)

“They are a global leader in project-based learning which has every student work as part of teams, challenging them to solve important problems. They are one of the nation’s first engineering and technology universities. Alumni receive some of the highest starting salaries of their peers, attend prestigious grad school and ascend to leadership roles and high-income brackets over their lives.”

Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH

(Music performance, Biology)

Has a conservatory of music. Popular majors include music performance, biology, political science and government. Very competitive so this is not for everyone! Strong sense of community; numerous student activities – they have a circus, a burlesque club, lots of intramural sports and endless opportunities for theater and music.

City College of New York, New York City, NY

(Biological and Biomedical Sciences, Engineering)

“Alumni have gone on to discover the polio vaccine, helped build the internet and designed the Panama Canal. Alumni have also gone on to become Supreme Court Justices, Secretaries of State, leaders of the industry, world-renowned researchers and award-winning actors and musicians. Popular majors include psychology, biology and biomedical sciences and molecular medicine. Good size – 10,000 undergrads.”

Juniata College, Huntingdon, PA

(Biology, Business, Premed)

“Top majors here are pre-med, environmental science/studies, museum studies, peace and conflict studies. Every student gets 2 faculty advisors that work with them to help structure the Program of Emphasis (major). Very flexible with curriculum ideas.”

“Sometimes people think only the big-name schools or the most competitive schools offer opportunities and ‘guarantee success’.” said guidance counselor Michelle Walsh. “There is no guarantee of success.  The most important thing is to find a school where the students are comfortable and can be their most authentic selves.  Only then can they be their best!”